Landlord Advice – Damp and Mould Repairs


Damp and mould are problems that affect tenants and landlords alike. Our property expert looks at what a landlord has to do when they become aware of damp or mould and whether it’s a statutory nuisance under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.URL:

How I solved our damp mould and condensation issues?

First of all, try to work out what’s causing the damp or mould in your home. For example, if you have black mould, it might be caused by condensation, whereas for other types, there could be a plumbing leak. A damp smell and stains on paint or wallpaper are also signs of a problem.

If it’s condensation, you should make sure that you have enough heating in your home to avoid making the air too dry, and ventilate your property when cooking or bathing to stop the moisture building up. You can also try putting in extractor fans, trickle vents or additional ventilation into rooms that you use often, such as the bedroom or living room.

Mould spores can grow where there’s excess moisture on cool surfaces like windows, walls and floors – it’s usually worse in cold properties. It’s best to clean the area straight away before it gets out of hand. There are many anti-mould sprays that you can buy at your local hardware store and online, but be careful not to over-spray as this may damage the surface of your walls or ceiling. If the mould is severe, you can seek specialist advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *